The continuity of the electrical power supply is very important to consumers especially in the industrial sector. Protection relays are used in power systems to maximise
continuity of supply and are found in both small and large power systems from generation, through transmission, distribution and utilisation of the power. A good understanding of their application, operation and maintenance is critical for operating and maintenance personnel. In this workshop, you will gain a thorough understanding of the capabilities of power system protection relays and how they fit into the overall distribution network. The practical sessions covering the calculation of fault currents, selection of appropriate relays and relay coordination as well as hands-on practice in configuring and setting of some of the commonly used types of protection relays used in industry will give you an excellent understanding. Simulation software and real relays (but at safe voltages) will be used to give the participants practical experience in setting up and configuring the various power parameters.
Who Should Attend?
Electrical Engineers, technicians and supervisors Instrument and control engineers, Process control engineers, technicians and supervisors, Etc.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of electrical power protection and applications
- Recognize the different fault types
- Perform simple fault and design calculations
- Understand protection system components
- Perform simple relay settings
- Choose appropriate protective devices for different equipment
- Interpret the protection systems existing in your plant, understand their functions, detect any shortcoming and explain any undesired or uncoordinated relay operation
- Make more informed decisions on electrical power system protection
- Significantly improve the safety of your site
- Identify the power system protective devices.
- Test the power system protective devices.
- Maintain the power system protective devices
- Identify the protection devices in the electric power system
- Test the protection apparatus