MASTERING COACHING & MENTORING
This training course has been developed by effectively merging the theory and practice of Coaching and Mentoring Skills for Leadership Excellence.
Through this course, managers will be trained to acquire superior coaching, counseling and mentoring skills.
In this course, trainees will also learn how and when to use counseling and mentoring effectively in order to keep the performance of their employees on track and to power them to meet and ultimately exceed expectations at work.
After the successful completion of this comprehensive training course, participants will be able to:
- Explain coaching, counseling and mentoring and describe the differences between these critical people management skills
- Describe how to coach or counsel an employee using the multi-step coaching and counseling processes
- Use coaching and counseling to help subordinates meet or exceed work targets
- Explain the main steps and requirements of mentoring, and how they can be used to improve employee competence
- Relate the role of the leader to that of a coach
- Group Live and Instructor-led Classroom Track
- PowerPoint presentation, with pointed breaks to stimulate discussion by the participants.
- Participative Classroom Activities, including:
- Ice-Breakers and Energizers
- Behavioral Role Plays
- Focused Video Playback
- Guided Group Discussions
- Management Case Studies
- Business Leaders and Functional Heads working in the field of imparting superior coaching, counseling and mentoring.
- Corporate Practitioners, including specialists, consultants, managers, supervisors and employees with some related experience who wish to advance their functional expertise and competence.
- Pre-Assessment to gauge current level of conceptual understanding and customize training delivery.
- Session-based Practical Exercises, Reflective Quiz and Peer-group Notes Sharing and Evaluation
- Final Course Assessment, in a test environment, capturing course retention and learning.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND AGENDA
COACHING, COUNSELING AND MENTORING
- Definitions and applications
- Key differences – Coaching, Counseling and Mentoring
- Coaching core competencies
- The Competency Iceberg
- Key Benefits of Coaching
- Notable Global Coaches
PRINCIPAL OF COACHING
- 3 stages of performance:
- Preparation and planning
- Performance evaluation
COACHING AND COUNSELING
- Critical factors in coaching
- How a good coach is described
- Why managers don’t coach?
- Tools for coaching
- Coaching versus counseling
PRACTICAL COACHING AND COUNSELING SKILLS
- Active listening
- Best Practice Models of Coaching
- The ‘GROW’ model of a super coach
- Benefits of coaching
PRACTICING POWERFUL MENTORING
- Birth, growth, maturity, conclusion
- Contexts in which mentoring is used
- Characteristics of mentors and mentees
- The benefits of mentoring
- Difference between mentoring and coaching
- Qualities of authentic leaders
- Coaching towards authentic leadership
- Traits shared by successful mentors
- How these traits relate to those of a coach
- Practical Exercise