EFFECTIVE PAYROLL ADMINISTRATION & MANAGEMENT
Employee salaries are the most critical part of the business ecosystem. That it must be calculated correctly and completely as well as paid month-on-month on a timely basis is of extreme importance.
This brand new training course has been developed after appreciating the fact that efficient management of the payroll function is crucial for any business. It is an aspect that requires attention to detail and careful observation of the regulatory environment. The integration of the payroll function with the finance and human resource departments further contributes to the operational management of a successful organization.
This exhaustive course gives a comprehensive understanding of the principles of payroll management and effective controls with a strong emphasis on practical application in the working environment. Whether you are seeking to manage these functions within your organization or to diversify your skillset for career progression, this training course will provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to perform the vital function of payroll management and the effective implementation of controls.
Attending this course will provide real value in formalizing and updating your skills and learning the most up-to-date processes and best practices involved in the payroll function.
After the successful completion of this comprehensive training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the importance of effective payroll administration and management.
- Learn how to effectively run a compliant payroll office.
- Oversee and manage practical payroll implementation.
- How to generate information and reports for internal and external use.
- How to plan, organize, implement and monitor work within the payroll environment.
- Conduct Pay Data processing using available and updated software.
- Manage integration of payroll into the HR and finance departments.
- Work on mitigating risk and implementation of controls.
- Oversee performance of internal and external payroll audits periodically.
- Group Live and Instructor-led Classroom Track
- PowerPoint presentation, with pointed breaks to stimulate discussion by the participants.
- Participative Classroom Activities, including:
- Ice-Breakers and Energizers
- Focused Video Playback
- Guided Group Discussions
- Management Case Studies
- Business Leaders, Functional Heads, HR Managers and HR professionals having payroll interface.
- Corporate Practitioners, including specialists, consultants, managers, supervisors and employees with some related experience who wish to advance their functional expertise and competence.
- Pre-Assessment to gauge current level of conceptual understanding and customize training delivery.
- Session-based Practical Exercises, Reflective Quiz and Peer-group Notes Sharing and Evaluation
- Final Course Assessment, in a test environment, capturing course retention and learning.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND AGENDA
Module – 01
UNDERSTANDING PAYROLL ENVIRONMENT
- What is the Payroll function?
- Types of payroll systems
- How to effectively run your payroll department/office
- The acts that govern payroll
- Integration with company policies
- Responsibility of the payroll administrator
- Internal payroll audit
PRACTICAL PAYROLL IMPLEMENTATION
- Understanding the key steps in payroll cycle
- Creating cost centers, pay points and job codes
- Maintaining employee data
- Processing leaves
- Setting up Pay slips and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Capturing overtime and additional payment information
- Making amendments and accounting for specific transactions
- Updating to new pay period and month-end procedures
- Definition of an employee
- How an employee designation impacts payroll
- Employee time management and tracking
- Employee compensation
- Additional employee benefits
- Types of deductions and why they are used
- Ethical considerations in the payroll function
- Linking payroll with the HR (Human Resource) function
- Setting up your payroll division
- Case study discussion
- Linking payroll with company finance department
- Recording of payroll transactions in the accounting records
- Application of payroll accruals
- Common payroll measurements and how they are used
- Contents of the various payroll reports and how to use them
- How to utilize payroll reports for problem solving
- Payroll and external audit procedures
- Practice exercise
EFFECTIVE PAYROLL CONTROLS
- Protection of personal information
- What are internal controls?
- Identifying risks in the payroll cycle
- Implementation of payroll controls
- Evaluating payroll controls
- Outsourcing arrangements and responsibilities
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Practice exercise