ART OF EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE REVIEW
German philosopher Goethe said: “Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being.”
Employee Performance reviews are an essential component of employee development. The performance review meeting is an important aspect of career planning, and the outcomes of the meeting should be known to the employee and supervisor before the meeting actually takes place.
Smartly setting goals and performance targets to aim for will give both supervisors and employees a focus, and is one of the key aspects to meeting overall company objectives. Supervisors must also learn how to give feedback, both positive and negative, on a regular and timely basis so that employees can grow and develop. Performance appraisals involve all these activities.
This intensive course has been designed to support managers and supervisors with the necessary skill-sets of conducting effective performance reviews for their teams.
After the successful completion of this comprehensive training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and recognize the importance of having a performance review process for employees.
- Learn the art of setting SMART performance standards and goals for all periods through the year.
- Understand how Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) work and how they can be used in Reviews.
- Decode the importance of Behavioral Competencies as a necessary measure in employee assessments.
- Develop cutting-edge skills in observing, assessing, giving feedback, listening, and asking questions.
- Conduct an effective performance review encompassing set deliverables for each employee.
- Simulate and practice the performance review process in a real-time and supportive atmosphere.
- Gain awareness on how to make the performance review legally defensible.
- Group Live and Instructor-led Classroom Track
- PowerPoint presentation, with pointed breaks to stimulate discussion by the participants.
- Participative Classroom Activities, including:
- Ice-Breakers and Energizers
- Behavioral Role Plays
- Focused Video Playback
- Guided Group Discussions
- Management Case Studies
- Business leaders, managers and supervisors with the responsibility of conducting performance reviews.
- HR, Administration and similar roles involved in supervising the roll-out of performance reviews.
- Corporate Practitioners, including specialists, consultants and employees with related exposure to the subject and who wish to advance their functional expertise and competence in the area.
- Pre-Assessment to gauge current level of conceptual understanding and customize training delivery.
- Session-based Practical Exercises, Reflective Quiz and Peer-group Notes Sharing and Evaluation
- Final Course Assessment, in a test environment, capturing course retention and practical learning.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND AGENDA
UNDERSTANDING PERFORMANCE REVIEWS
- Understanding and defining the meaning of Performance Review
- Philosophy of Reviews and Assessments to gauge performance
- Background of conducting Performance Reviews in an organization
- Frequency of Performance Reviews in an organization
- Advantages of having frequent Performance Reviews
- Challenges in conducting an effective Performance Review
- Reality check
DIMENSIONS OF PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Understanding the Performance Management Cycle
- Performance Review Process and Steps
- Roles and Responsibilities in the Process
- Major Types of Performance Assessments
- Elements of Assessment in Performance Reviews
- Objectives and Key Performance Indicators
- Behavioral Competencies
- Individual Development Plans
- Practice exercise
SETTING PERFORMANCE GOALS
- Why is it important to Set Goals and Objectives?
- Practical Goal-Setting Strategies
- SMART Method for Goal-Setting
- SPIRIT Method for Goal-Setting
- Cascading Organizational and Departmental Goals
- Assigning and distributing Targets for individuals
- Practical exercise
CONDUCTING EFFECTIVE REVIEWS
- Preparation strategies for conducting effective reviews
- Conducting an Effective Interview – Tips and Techniques
- Communication strategies for review meetings
- Importance of constructive performance feedback
- Rules for having difficult review conversations
- Negotiation techniques for performance agreements
- Completing necessary documents with confidentiality
- Legal angles involved in performance reviews
- Practical exercise
BEST PRACTICES IN PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENTS
- How do Fortune 500 companies approach performance reviews?
- Key best practices to emulate and replicate in performance reviews
- Anatomy of an Effective Performance Reviewer
- Performance Management – The Superstar’s Checklist
- Common review pitfalls – Avoiding errors
- Establishing a Chain of Command
- Essence of Following up post-reviews
- Practical exercise